Directions: Choose the best term to complete each of the sentences below
1. The patientís stomach cancer was so advanced that most of his stomach had to be removed by performing a ___.
2. A cancer affecting the white cells of the blood is ___.
3. as concerned about an inflammation of the skin on his feet.† The doctor found he had ___.
4. Mucus is a secretion of the ___ membrane.†††††††††
5. In order to ease the patientís breathing permanently, the doctor inserted a cannula in his throat following a ___.
6. He suffers from megalocardia, and his heart muscle has ___.
7. An ordinary headache is a mild form of ___.
d. a and c
8. Recently, Queen Elizabeth of England had minor surgery to remove some damaged cartilage in her ankle.† She underwent a ___.
c. chondracostal adjustment
9. A man suffers from heartburn because he eats too fast. The medical term for eating too fast is ___.
10. She suffers from severe and painful arthritis, and even small movements can cause her to experience ___.
11. His gallstones were so severe that the surgeon decided to excise the gallbladder in a ___.
12. The man complained of ___, or discharge from the nose.
13. Bacteria which produce pus are ___.
14. The cocci are ___.
a. a family of viruses
b. a family of bacteria
c. the lower vertebrae of the spine
d. none of the above
15. Cocci growing in clusters are ___.
d. none of the above
16. The meninges cover the† ___.
b. lungs and bronchi
c. brain and spinal cord
17. Thinking, feeling, and movement are controlled by the ___.
18. Pelvimetry may be useful in determining ___.
19. To remove an accumulation of fluids in the patientís chest, the doctor ordered ___.
20. An ___ occurs when two normally separate tissues join together. This is less common after surgery now than in the past because post-operative patients walk sooner after surgery than they used to.
21. A region above the lumbar is ___lumbar.
22. The CT scan showed a carcinoma.† The patient has ___.
a. heart problems
b. an inflamed pancreas
c. hepatic failure
d. a cancerous tumor
23. Calcium deficiencies, perhaps caused by a parathyroid disorder, can cause softening of the bones, i.e. ___.
24. An encephalocele is a/an ___.
25. Hydrotherapy is a curative process that uses ___.
c. high protein diets
d. low sodium diets