Directions: Based on context, choose the correct punctuation.
1. The immune system generates antibodies that attack healthy tissue. ___ these tissues become inflamed.
c. As a result,
2. Lupus is the name given to a group of chronic autoimmune diseases. Systemic lupus erythematosus is the most common and serious type of ___ other types of lupus are discoid lupus erythematosus and subacute cutaneous lupus.
a. lupus; however,
b. lupus, but
c. lupus; in addition,
3. The relationship between hormones and the disease’s preference for women of childbearing age is not understood. ___ certain external factors, such as particular medications, viruses, sun exposure, and prolonged and severe stress, are thought to trigger the onset of the disease.
4. While lupus can affect men, women, and children of any ___ it occurs most often in women of childbearing age.
a. age , however,
5. Ten percent of lupus victims are diagnosed with the more limited forms of ___ approximately 10% lupus victims will be diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus.
b. lupus while
6. At this time there is no cure for systemic lupus ___ treatment is designed to control the symptoms and reduce the number of flare-ups.
a. erythematosus; therefore,
b. erythematosus, consequently,
7. Establishing the correct diagnosis is ___ something can be done to manage most forms of arthritis.
a. important , and
b. important; nevertheless,
c. important because
8. If your doctor thinks you might have systemic lupus ___ he or she may review your medical history and symptoms, may perform a physical examination and order laboratory tests.
c. erythematosus and,
9. Intervals of remissions and flare-ups can be expected by ___ who are living with systemic lupus erythematosus.
10. Along with the physical symptoms of ___ many people experience feelings of helplessness and depression.
11. Three types of lupus ___ systemic lupus erythematosus, discoid lupus erythematosus and subacute cutaneous lupus.
12. If your doctor thinks you have systemic lupus erythematosus, he or she will usually refer you to a ___ who is a doctor who has received special training in the diagnosis and treatment and problems involving inflammation of the joints, muscles and other parts of the body.
c. rheumatologist that